Some facts about INTL:
- INTL works in all versions of Visual FoxPro.
- INTL makes your apps multilingual in a hassle-free way.
- INTL makes for fast integration into existing applications.
- INTL is totally configurable.
- INTL is componentware.
- INTL localizes reports and menus.
- INTL comes with full source code.
- INTL has a clean, simple programming interface.
- INTL has a clean, modular architecture.
- INTL configurably localizes interface strings and messages.
- INTL can localize fonts, images, and datasources.
- INTL is also multi-currency.
- INTL supports right-to-left and bi-di writingsystems.
- INTL fully documents VFP's international gotchas.
- INTL is a breeze to maintain.
- INTL is fully compatible with Middle-Eastern and Oriental Locales.
- INTL works in all versions of VFP, with no forward and backward compatibility issues.
Steven Black's INTL Toolkit is hassle free
INTL is a snap to integrate into new and existing applications. Simply do the following:
- Create an INTL object early in the application's startup
- Add a line to your baseform
INIT()to message INTL
- Make GENMENUX your menu generator
- Build your application
- Voila, you are basically done and ready to give a very credible demo to your boss or customer!
INTL helps with finish and polish issues like:
- See Downloads for GOTCHAS, a utillity that audits your project for instances of the known issues.
- My VFP International Issues page discusses the no-nos you may have coded in your application.
- Expunge hard-coded messages from your applcation. See Downloads for a public-domain version of MsgSvc to see how that works.
INTL retrofits easily into new and existing apps.
INTL is a great component. It is both a complete back box you can use immediately, and also a highly hooked and extendible component that you can tailor, extend, or subclass as you need.
INTL is a great component because:
- it comes will full annotated source code.
- it is tuned for each version of VFP for maximum performance.
- it has great documentation.
- its classes are explicitly named for the design patterns it used so functionality is easily unerstood.
- it provides hooks for every action so you can easily change default behavior.
- it provides a number of specialized localization strategies that you can add-on for particular locales. For example, you would use the right-to-Left strategy to localize for the Middle-East and the Orient, or add-in the multi-currency strategy on forms displaying financial data.
- you can loalize strings, fonts, images, data sources, as required, with easy to configure add-in strategies for each.
INTL is high-quality source code
"...the source code itself is a treasure. I get to see a lot of source, and Steven's is among the best I've seen."
Whil Hentzen, Editor, FoxTalk Magazine
Steven Black's INTL Toolkit is a great example of literate programming. It is designed in such a way as to teach you the maximum about itself, and also about FoxPro.
Much of INTL's architecture is named explicitly after the design patterns it emulates. The result is a black box tool that'll easily become a white box in the unlikely event you need to change it to your particular circumstances.